Friday, September 16, 2011

Grattitude


I am currently sitting on my couch, waiting for my beautiful boyfriend to come home so that we can go out to dinner to celebrate a friend's birthday.  While waiting, I am able to talk to BOTH of my favorite [blood] girl cousins who are on opposite ends of the United Kingdom.  Sometimes I'm not sure if my life could go on without the power of the Internet.

I'm also listening to a cover of "Can't Help Falling In Love" by Ingrid Michaelson which makes me feel all warm and fuzzy and want to plan weddings.  My dog is snoozing and my dishes are all done.  I spent too much money between Starbucks, Barnes and Nobel and the post office today.  All totally worth it, because what could be better than a good book and keeping in touch with people you love all while fully caffeinated?  (Not much!)

Yesterday, despite having almost no voice, I talked to my favorite pirate-hunting cousins for the first time since his wedding.  He is safely back from oversees and living closer than ever!  This year has been filled with an unusual sense of loss for me and I'm pretty tired of having to say goodbye to people I love.  Talking to Tom reminded me that thankfully none of the goodbyes this year have been permanent.  Whether the people I love are in Scotland, England, Iraq or Idaho, there will be a time where I will see them again and I am so lucky to have all of these people in my life, whether they are in close proximity or a phone call / Skype date away.

The day that Sabrina and Tim left Vermont happened to coincide with our First Annual Saint Mike's Camping Reunion, which lessened the blow for sure.  Mike and I spent the weekend with ten of our closest college friends, sharing home brew, lounging by the lake and catching up.  Many, although not all of these friends were local and it was a great reminder that even though my family was spreading out, we are still surrounded by so much love and companionship here in Vermont.

So anyway, I have some mixed feelings about change at the moment but can't help but feel so lucky for all of the wonderful people (and canines!) in my life.  I'm also pretty sure that I am going to save the US Postal Service by spending all of my money on international postage.  Silver linings all around! :)

Love, peace & postage stamps,

Nicole

1 comment:

  1. Awww. I loved this! You just did a great job of reminding ME that we are all only a phone call/skype date away. Otherwise I would have been sitting here consumed with envy that you have Tom (and soon you'll have Kirby & Abby too!).

    When I get bummed I like to daydream about the day when we are ALL back in Vermont settled down and having early autumn dinners together at my farm. It could happen! <3

    ReplyDelete